Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Applying Coincidence Constraint to "last" part of linear pattern

harri_pehkonenharri_pehkonen Member Posts: 2
I'm designing a 3D-printed part with a bolt/latch (just a blob of plastic) at one end and a zigzag-shaped spring at the other.  I'm using a linear pattern to repeat the zigzag in order to change its characteristics.  The number of "repeats" on the zigzag-shaped spring are parameterized (Variable Studio), as well as its overall length.  The first or original zigzag is attached to the bolt/latch with a coincidence constraint.  The last zigzag closes itself off with a line that is coincidence-constrained to the end of the zigzag.  Since the first zigzag and the bolt/latch are always there, there is no problem with being constrained.  The last zigzag, however, is another story.  Whenever I change the number of "repeats", the line that was supposed to close off the zigzag is left in its previous place.

One option is to use parameters to put the closing line in the correct place, but I don't know if that will show up as an open pattern.  I would much rather close all parts of the design because I think it's the right thing to do.  I may also be worrying about nothing.

Is there a "right way" to attach things to the other end of a linear pattern where the number of repeats may change?

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,388 PRO
    You can use variables and math to control everything (either as a linear feature pattern or now as a sketch pattern) or you can use @Evan_Reese’s linear pattern plus custom feature.