Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

How to select or define mdf panels for a cut list

When I deign furniture I use beam, but the timber optiions are limtied to from a size of 1x  8 to  8 x  8.

I am seeing no options for for panels, e.g MDF panels 2400mm * 1200mm

Am I using the wrong tool, any help would be much appreciated

Best Answer

Answers

• MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,908 PRO
    edited June 2023

Hey @breandan_murray,

The Beam feature has been fully integrated directly into Onshape's native features now as Frame. It has the option to define custom profiles. This might fit your needs. When you select the profile sketch, there is the option for "Current document" or from "Other documents". This is where you can select your own custom profile.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • breandan_murraybreandan_murray Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Michael for your advice. I am trying what you suggested but can't see to get the cutlist function to work. I'm new to the prog, so I may not be doing it right
    edited June 2023

To do this, it will be best practice to set up a configured sketch in its own part studio; this way you can easily re-use it with whatever size you need. When the profile is used in another studio, you will be able to have any value you like. See these steps:
    1. Create a part studio with the sketch profile you like.
    2. Create configured variables or a list for your changing dimensions.
    3. In your main document or part studio, create a sketch to represent the lengths of your panels.
    4. Using the Frame feature, select your custom profile and input the configured width or thickness if you created that too.
    5. Select the edges to extrude the "frame" along.
    6. Use the Cut list feature to turn the frames into a cut list.
    7. For computers, the Cut list table can be viewed on the right side of the screen.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/4a19637188242256528d7de3/w/f845c2477cde621aa1447632...

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
    Answer ✓

@breandan_murray, If you share a link to your document, I'll take a look at your specific issue. There are simpler ways to get a panel cut list. Especially if you are new to Onshape.

Thanks Michael for your advice. I am trying what you suggested but can't see to get the cutlist function to work. I'm new to the prog, so I may not be doing it right
    thanks a mill Michael, I think I've solved it. I missed a steop in the profile bit, . Is there a way to pause the demo's on OnShape, that would make learning for Mtures like myself easy.

Thansk again