Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

screw things in place

roman_herwegroman_herweg Member Posts: 6
Hi there,

Is there anybody who can give an Instruktion how to design screws that fit in place.

Like if you have a cube of two parts und you want two screw them together. And all sides should fit together after screwed together.

Thanks for your help and regards.

Answers

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    Hello Roman. I interpreted your description as having the sides of the cubes aligned flush when screwed together. Perhaps the document via the link below is a method you could use. However, when actually screwing two such actual parts together, the flush surfaces cannot be guaranteed due the material of the parts stretching when torque is applied when screwing them together. - Scotty

• Options
    Hi, that's exactly what I was asking for. But if I would print it like that, I think this will not fit. Because you cannot fit printed screws together if not modified before ? Correct? So I used the threads plugin. Which I modifiy normally. But then I cannot use the method you scetched correct?

Thanks and regards Roman
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    That does not seem a realistic and repeatable design. Tightening it more or less would cause the sides to not be flush. Why don't you use a separate metal screw instead?

If you really want the screw as part of the cube, then perhaps print a few samples, and offset the face of the cube slightly until the sides become perfectly flush with the tightening torque desired.

Or better yet, change the design to a cylinder instead of a cube.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    You would have to add a "stop" feature in there somewhere, and move the faces on one half to introduce some "preload" in the thread if you want the sides of the cube to align
  • Options
    Hi Eric,

I didn't quite get that. Maybe because I'm not a native speaker.

But speaking in general shouldn't there be an option to simulate this in onshape via assembly?

Thanks and regards Roman
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    @roman_herweg
    It's not so anything specific to Onshape. Just that physical objects will need some clearance to fit together and materials will stretch so it will be difficult to make sure the two cubes line up when screwed together. It's hard to tell why you want to do it this way but it will be hard to make it work well compared to using a separate screw to attach the two parts together (or some other fastening method).

If I really needed to do this, here's how I would do it:
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/03b907808cba0ea7d03c4409/w/bc349104f523dec3214447f2/e/79776eb34da790741a774b47?renderMode=0&uiState=64a5d6ccc675a17779b84d44

- Add clearance to the boolean that creates the female thread so they fit properly after printing (would to have to experiment to see how much you need)
    - Move the bottom the face to create a "preload" in the thread (so things are nice and tight)
    - Add a "stop" so the rotation ends with the sides of the cube aligned, although it would likely always be off a bit...

Maybe something like this might be a better way to get the sides of the cube to naturally stay aligned:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/03b907808cba0ea7d03c4409/w/bc349104f523dec3214447f2/e/a02ec7324aacc823a9b8e1d4?renderMode=0&uiState=64a5d717c675a17779b84dfc

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 676 PRO
    Hi Eric,

I didn't quite get that. Maybe because I'm not a native speaker.

But speaking in general shouldn't there be an option to simulate this in onshape via assembly?

Thanks and regards Roman
    It's a bad design. Don't make it like this. There is no product in the real world made like this.

If you want two blocks to assemble together in a twisting fashion, and maintain their orientation, a screw built into one part won't work. Instead, you can use a bayonet mount (how a lens attaches to a camera), or something similar.

Example: