Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't wrap sketch around cylindrical surface

peta_labpeta_lab Member Posts: 7
Hi, I am currently stuck in the design of a revolving barrel due to a seemingly small issue that has driven me a bit insane. I made two sketches in this project: Sketch 7 and Sketch 8. Sketch 8 is just a modified copy of Sketch 7, and I have managed to properly wrap it around the cylinder of this contraption (using the "Wrap" tool). However, I can't seem to wrap Sketch 7 around ANY cylindrical surface. The idea is to wrap Sketch 7 over Sketch 8, using it to delete an indent along the middle of the curve described by the wrapped Sketch 8. However, no matter how many adjustments and tweaks I make to the options on the Wrap tool, I can't manage to wrap Sketch 7 along any cylinder, let alone the contraption's. I provide a link to my project HERE for reference, any and all help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Comments

• Options
    David_YL_NguyenDavid_YL_Nguyen Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 90
    Hey @peta_lab,

I had a quick go at your model and it looks like that your sketch 7 is too big. It seems to be outside of you bounding box for the wrap geometry and therefore there would be some self-interesecting geometry which Onshape does not regenerate. Try to make sketch 7 smaller and the wrap seems to work.

Let me know how it goes. Cheers

• Options
    peta_labpeta_lab Member Posts: 7
    Hi @David_YL_Nguyen,

As you suggested, I tried resizing the sketch and it did work. It does struggle a bit when attempting to create a solid out of it, but I can make-do with the thickness it's allowing me to work with. I also tried using a different method combining the Fold and Pipe custom tools, and it brought some nice results, so I guess I can choose from the two now. Thanks for your tip!