Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Holes pattern in curved and planar surfaces to stl : Self intersecting surfaces detected.

andrea_rossi972andrea_rossi972 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited July 2023 in Drawings
Hi guys,
I am trying to create a basket for a watch washing machine.
I need all the vertical walls covered with holes about 1.2 mm each.
I used 2 techniques
On the curved surfaces, I created new solids and then I used a circular pattern along the perimeter with remove attribute.
On flat inner surfaces, I used the fill pattern feature script
The problem is that both methods give me a self-intersecting structure and I am unable to 3d print the model correctly.
can someone point me to where my mistake is?
Thank you very much

Andrea

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7cd1e50d3902b5e25e86e834/w/b19c61fc08d12d229e322451/e/a134ff6c821e87d389276c10

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    shawn_crockershawn_crocker Member, OS Professional Posts: 814 PRO
    So your slicer is warning you about self intersecting geometry?  If so, most slicers have options allowing you to instruct the system on how to deal with self intersecting geometry.
  • Options
    andrea_rossi972andrea_rossi972 Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    Thank you for answering me. Maybe I solved it. I changed the slicing software switching from simplify3d to cura.
    Cura doesn't detect any problem with the model and the slicing procedure went smoothly. I am printing the part right now and seems fine.