Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Lofting

doug_hillsdoug_hills Member Posts: 26
Hi everyone,
I've never done a loft before, and I'm having a hard time with this one, likely way to complex for a beginner, but its what I need. Unless ther is a better way to join the upper and lower sections.
The upper is wider than the lower, and will need to be hollow, with a .062 wall thickness.
Sketches 8,9,10 are the crossections, and seketch 11 is the shape I want (I was trying to create a path). It will have a fillet to join with the upper nipple..

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/e80b1b3ae08927502d18d581/w/9fd1adb5c3713b133ac38315/e/2381988d43d2e21c01f8e9c7

Thanks for your help.
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 602 ✭✭✭
    @doug
    Lofting can be a bit tricky. When you use guide curves they want to be at pierce points with profile curves.
    Here's some ideas that might help.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f72c7797b0e05baebf133137/w/e8cbe8e0bb87b85ab5e93461/e/bfd754f9cbbb366ca915f7fc  
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,547 PRO
    Lofts don't handle "hollow" profiles, so you need to loft it as a solid and then hollow it out using shell (or a second loft with the remove option). You also had other issues
    - The profiles not being in the right order
    - The guides not actually piercing all the profiles
    - The guides "fighting" the end conditions (guide perpendicular to profile at the top but end condition normal to profile)
    - Lastly the transition is just too steep, I improved a bit by moving the mid profile down but it's still not great, removing it altogether might be a better option.

Something like this;
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c2dfdcbc013272be7c6dd505/w/aecc512efbdb39544fd029e9/e/52b5040581caafb1c5f9d338
  • Options
    ian_bottomley909ian_bottomley909 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Doug

From one beginner to another - I had a battle with lofting too. I suspect you are asking too much of the lofting algorithm trying to solve the whole, 'three pipe into one' question in one go. I have had more success working in stages.

1). Make a solid loft that is the outer shell of the require part.
    2),3), & 4). make individual cores that represent each flow path from one of the manifold pipes to the main pipe
    subtract 2,3,4  from 1 in a sequence of Boolean operations...

And hey presto ...

Maybe ...

Ian B.