Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
- Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
- Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
- Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
- Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.
Latest "Under the Hood" on Sketches
let’s take the case of a cylinder that points directly at the sketch so that its edge projects as a circle. There are two ways to make a point coincident with the projection of that edge:
- Select it, and the point, and add a coincident constraint.
- Use the edge and then put the point on the resulting circle.
Now if you change the earlier feature so that it tilts and the edge projects to an ellipse, the “use edge” will fail. It will be unhappy because it can only be a circle, but what it wants to follow is now an ellipse. So it won’t change and neither will the point. However, the direct constraint WILL work because it doesn’t care what the curve is as long as a point can be coincident to it.