Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is it possible to turn a replicated part in an assembly into a new part?

tgunrtgunr Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
I have two parts, a base part representing a chuck and a jaw part. In the assembly I orient the jaw to the chuck and then did a circular replication to get the other two jaw parts oriented correctly. Now, I need to make the two new jaws into separate parts to modify the thread positioning. Is that possible or do I have to duplicate the jaw part and add them to the assembly?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f2a08ff5f25f577f9f067f93/w/5706a45d36601809f31c5c23/e/dd20d61ead28e2cd21a699c5

Best Answer

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You need to duplicate them replicate will only take the first instance as a seed.

Answers

• Options
    wout_theelen541wout_theelen541 Member, csevp Posts: 198 PRO
    Answer ✓
    You need to duplicate them replicate will only take the first instance as a seed.
  • Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,723 PRO
    edited July 2023

This could be accomplished using configurations and a single jaw part studio and either some in context edits of the assembly or a derived base as a reference in your jaw studio.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    tgunrtgunr Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Kind of figured that but thought I would ask. Would be handy to create a new instance as a part.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    edited July 2023
    Did you model the chuck body, jaws, and the scroll in the same studio? If so, circular pattern the jaws there, and use the threads of the scroll to control the threads in each jaw. You could even Boolean subtract the scroll threads from the jaws. Although those threads would then need massaging to be correct from a machining standpoint. 
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,523 PRO
    You really shouldn't be creating copies the entire jaw part studio!
    Just do a circular pattern of the jaw in your original jaw part before the tread features and derive in the "thread" part (rather than the other way around)