Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What else should I include on this drawing?

michael_moore728michael_moore728 Member Posts: 3
I've completed my model and am putting together a drawing. I come from maya/polygon modeling, so these drawings are new to me.

What should I include (or remove) on this drawing before I send to a customer? They need the drawing to get a quote from a manufacturer.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    shashank_aaryashashank_aarya Member Posts: 265 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hi @michael_moore728 there are pretty much things you need to add in this drawing. Currently Onshape do not have some functionalities such as GD and T, machining symbols in drawings but they are expected to come very soon. But at this point of time I would suggest overall points you can add. Once you finish I will look into other details.
    1) Make sure your title block is filled with all the details.
    2) Please verify the precision value for every dimension, confirm what tolerance range it is required to manufacture.
    3) Arrange all the dimensions in proper manner so that drawing looks good.
    4) You need to mention sheet thickness in one of the view.
    5) Angle need to be mentioned in right side view.
    6) Show the profile details for lower cross-section of loft feature
    7) If it is supposed to be in sheet metal you need to provide bend radius somewhere
  • Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    1) Is the cone a solid block or is it a sheet metal part?
    2) Does the sheet metal base have a hole in it corresponding to the base of the cone?
    3) if the cone is sheet metal are all the faces solid or are some removed?
    4) Either way the cone and base needs making in two parts (not enough metal to form from one piece) how are they attached and where?
    5) As two parts in manufacture (base plate and cone) easiest to give two drawings possibly for this and then one showing how and where to attach them, probably either spot weld, mig/tig weld or glue.

Note you can add notes to drawings to fill in title block and give general tolerance dimensions. Also if model is translucent you can show internal lines on drawing (when holllow etc)
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In consideration of the method of manufacture, the materials used, and the required accuracy for function, your dimensions should be shown to a realistic number of decimal places. In the case of angles, in particular, probably no decimals at all, but (and I'm guessing here) you should not need to specify any more than two decimal places of inches, unless this is (say) a piece of lab equipment or a piece part for a nuclear reactor. If need be, rearrange the model so the dimensions come out to 'round numbers'.

Otherwise there is a risk that the manufacturer will go back to your client and tell them bad things about you.

Your dimensions from the edge of the bottom plate to the outer profile of the protrusion are probably not as helpful as dimensioning the protrusion in both directions, then giving (say) 6.1" to the steep end. In the other direction, show the centerline of the protrusion lying on the centerline of the baseplate (by running a chain dashed line right through the view), and together with the 3" width of the protrusion, this tells the whole story.

If the item is made from two separate pieces, you need to show a typical section through the join, showing how is it is to be made and bonded.