Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Artificial Intelligence and Onshape

hans_van_de_burgthans_van_de_burgt Member Posts: 11 EDU
The (in-)possibilities of Artifical Intelligence (AI) are at the moment a main topic at all levels on the internet. Even Solidworks starts with experiments to use AI in their CAD systems. Especilaly in their cloud based tools. So I wonder if Onshape is studying too such possibilities. I read ChatGPT can help software engineers with certain programming tasks, so I tried if ChatGPT "know" already something of Onshape Feature script. Well, It can give you a proper explanation what it is, but give you also the response that Feature script is too complicated to assist.
I understand that ChatGPT has the possibilities to learn such tasks... Perhaps in the future I wil be possible.

At the other hand, would it be something for the Onshape developers to make it possible to reduce the human tasks by AI for easy and often repeated tasks?

For my students I use very often pictures of buildings or vehicles as base for their CAD designs. For small objects you can use a 3D scan, but that's not the same as the human analyse of the main structure of a building or vehicle. I wonder... With another AI tool, Google Lens, I can determine any object of the real world to a website with a description, photo and related links. In less of a second! What would it be nice if you can similar take a picture of any object, and generate a proper Onshape Part Studio with a related CAD structure of that object.

I wonder, if more forum users have with interest in Artificial Intelligence?

Comments

• Options
    hans_van_de_burgthans_van_de_burgt Member Posts: 11 EDU
    Nobody?
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,382 PRO
    There's work being done with AI on creating models from photos, but it's pretty hard to do anything where it generates a parametric model. Most of the stuff I've seen so far is essentially voxel based, not NURBS body based. There are reverse engineering tools in use in industry which generate NURBS from mesh data or point clouds, but they're fairly specialized and take a lot of hand-holding by an engineer. 

It's very challenging to create a reasonable parametric model from a STEP import, let alone mesh data or photos. If you give a reasonably complex part to 5 different engineers, you'll get 5 very different approaches to a parametric model.