Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Join for a line.

peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in General
Been experimenting with using guide lines for lofting. I found it had to be a single line between the two faces being lofted. So if I wanted to turn angles or move from straight to arc then I had a line made of 4 or 5 sections. Then it seemed to create a loft I had to create a plane and sketch for each point of the guide line. So I feel it would be better for loft if one could join the sections of a line to create one single line entity.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8292c53edbc5450b9d94acfa/w/42037c78a52c4560972b85fb/e/ee86c75a04c64603afbe10a0

The link is to my loft experiments, feel free to comment on better methods as I like to learn.

Comments

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2015
    @peter_hall

I suspect the guide curve problem is one of tangency vs sudden discontinuities of curvature.

If you create a guide curve which is a bunch of entities with sharp corners, a loft will fail, but adding even tiny fillets at each intersection will permit it so succeed : (however in the example shown, there are only two profiles, one at each end, and one guide curve, on the right)

If you need sharp transitions, or multiple profiles, your approach (stacking discrete lofts) is probably the best way at present. In the latter case, you could fillet the discontinuities after lofting, if you wanted to, using fillet features rather than sketch fillets.

• Options
    peter_hallpeter_hall Member Posts: 196 ✭✭✭
    @andrew_troup Thanks for the tip on using fillets to prevent sharp corners. Lofting is making me think on plane creations to get guide lines to go where I need them.