Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't figure out how to extend shape in this (logically simple) scenario...

Hi there,

I have a (what I think simple) logical scenario where I'm trying to expand a shape, where I can't figure out how to do it.
Sample example is here: https://cad.onshape.com/documents/08f14cb4110b775401e8137a/w/1cc8e5cb2b53526a106fa477/e/38ea09ba12e26c67663b9b3d

What I'm trying to accomplish is make a model of an oblique angled plant pot (top and bottom sections are non-rectangular - see example).

That step is no problem, assuming a constant wall/bottom thickness by simply using Loft  between a bottom and top profile, followed by Shell to remove the top face (see example above).

However, my next goal is where I'm stumped.

I'd like to not have constant width "walls" for the pot - but instead somewhat wedge shaped, with the bottom walls thicker and narrowing to the top.
So this conceptually is like a "Shell", but where the shell width isn't constant everywhere, but varies dependent on Z.

So I took my bottom profile and created a new sketch from it, where I used the original bottom edges plus then used "Offset" to create an expansion for the bottom edges, expanded by a small amount.

I then want to conceptually loft that to the top of the pot's existing top edges.

But I can't figure out how to do that:

1. Loft doesn't work (the bottom profile contains a closed loop)
2. Sweep doesn't work (I'm assuming the top and bottom relative angles aren't constant)

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I realize I could do what I want by not using "Shell", but instead two separate Loft's, the first to create the outer pot faces, and then a second Loft with remove to create the internal cutout at whatever shape/size I like.  However figuring out how to solve the above problem as it stands is something I'd like to just know how to do, if it's possible.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,521 PRO
    You figured it out. Two lofts (one for the outside and one for the inside) is probably the most straightforward way to do this.