Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How to remove material from these side area's what the term I need to be searching for?

luke_glazebrook456luke_glazebrook456 Member Posts: 15
Hello,

I'm a bit of a OnShape newb but enjoying it none the less, YouTube has been helpful.  I managed to create this top component for an oil filter and now I need to create these little rectangular cutouts (fillets is that the correct term?) and round them.  Can someone point me in the direction of a video for this task?  I would rather not frustrate you all with my total lack of skills.  I think part of the problem is not knowing the correct terms to Google/Search.

Believe it or not this is a part for a Bugatti veyron

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 352 ✭✭✭
    Below is my approach. I chose this method to perhaps introduce you to one or two tools. Welcome to Onshape. Have fun. - Scotty

• Options
    Lol!  I forgot everything I do in OnShape is public @robert_scott_jr_ Thanks pal I will attempt to reverse engineer your work
  • Options
    Below is my approach. I chose this method to perhaps introduce you to one or two tools. Welcome to Onshape. Have fun. - Scotty

Apologies I am struggling to reverse engineer your steps buddy.  I am quote possiblt trying to run before I can walk.  Would you mind bullet pointing them.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 352 ✭✭✭
    The first three features are to create the disc which apparently you already accomplished on your own. My plan was to create 1 slot and then multiply it for the remaining slots. In the second sketch I used the Center Rectangle tool to create the slot area. Knowing I would need an axis for the Circular Pattern tool for the slot multiplication, I created a mate connector at the circles' center (this step could be at any time before using the Circular Pattern tool). I then used the Extrude remove tool and selected the desired area to create a slot. I then filleted at the desired corners; I did that here knowing that I could also replicate that feature in the Circular Pattern tool. It was then a matter of using the Circular Pattern feature tool with the mate connector as the axis and selecting the extrude and fillet features created earlier to create the renaming slots. If I missed anything let me know. - Scotty

There are many ways to accomplish the result you wanted. To me, the avenue to proceed on is dependent on my knowledge of the tools Onshape provides. I am not a professional, just a man of projects. This is my 5th year using Onshape and I am very grateful for it since I consider it my most valued tool. Naturally, starting out learning anything can be frustrating. As I learned tools and methods I came to enjoy using Onshape. Very much enjoyed those 'I didn't know you could do that' moments of discovery via the forum and other resources.
  • Options
    James_NobleJames_Noble Member Posts: 2 PRO
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d84a70a1ec7b490567d4b0cc/w/e84f0b4af6e805c448fe8283/e/00b49c230eace29af47c0bae

Halved the number of operations, If you'd like any help with configurations let me know 

P.S How are you in a position to be designing parts for a Veyron? 
  • Options
    I'm so close and yet so far, I need to reposition something 1mm but I cant.  Any idea's what this could be?  I did delete some seemingly useless parts recently.  
  • Options
    Ahh... I think I effectively constrained a measurement in more than one place.