Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Chamfer Hole Not Working

Hello all,

Fair warning - this is probably a very simple solution, but I am stuck. I am brand new to Onshape (day 1) and I just made my first model, a fan. When adding the hole for the motor, I wanted to add a chamfer to help mitigate elephants foot on my 3d printer. For some reason, I cannot get this hole to chamfer. No errors or anything, just no chamfer, I only get the lines where the chamfer edges would be. I have tried using a subtract extrusion, an add extrusion with a boolean, about 20 different values, even fillets and holes. For some reason I just cant get the chamfer to actually stick. Can someone tell me where I went wrong? 

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 759 PRO
    It's your pattern. You patterned the entier "part" and now there are 7 parts sitting on top of each other. The chamfer is working, but it's chamfering one of the 7 parts, and the 6 other parts are hiding it. If you put the chamfer before the pattern it will look as expected. Fix the pattern though, that is the root cause.
  • nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 759 PRO

The problem with the pattern is this round. If you suppress it, the pattern works properly with the "add" selection.
  • GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 171
    The root cause seems to be Fillet 1.  This is the reason you cannot Boolean the 7 parts into 1, either as a separate operation or as part of the circular pattern. The geometry does not seem happy with the "Conic" value in Fillet 1 when used with a fillet radius exactly half the diameter of the base cylinder. Just testing it out with a circular (distance) "Control" parameter makes things work...