Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use generated Part Number and Rev in features (text) - please help formulate a good feature request

Jon_HJon_H Member Posts: 29 PRO
Hi there,

So I'm trying to push to add (engrave) the part number on a selection of parts we push out to manufacture. For this the easiest way in my view is to add the part number directly on the 3D data (extrude-remove a text sketch)

What I think I want is to open a sketch, add a text box and use the property "part number" and "revision" so it automatically updates whenever that changes (which happens even for the part number, for example in confogured parts). At least this is how I did it in other CAD softwares (Inventor, SW).

I would like to avoid featurescrips (even though we use a lot of those that are freely available for other things), as it's not possible to have the script update the text without re-running the feature and we're bound to forget to do that all the time before release.

We're using Onshape's part number generation so there's no need to generate anything, "just"make the "part number" property available.

Doest this make sense, am I missing something ? Just want to avoid the XY problem when posting a feature request !

Comments