Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Flattening a loft surface

john_fringsjohn_frings Member Posts: 3
So I experimented with modeling a plywood hull for a small boat:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/3802d6ef9725ce6f8d67f83a/w/c3076b2caa69d75323d9ef22/e/0cef65930fd5c5fa8b5526cf

Basically what I want to achieve is to make plans for sawing parts from flat plywood sheets so that they can be curved into the shapes of the model in the link above.

As far as I have understood from other posts on this forum, there is no functionality in onshape to flatten parts that are curved in 3 dimensions.

Is there any plans to add "unfolding" for these types of surfaces to onshape in the future?

Does anyone have a process to do this using some other tool (I'm thinking exporting a part from onshape, flattening it and import the flattened part back to onshape)?
Perhaps there is some math trick to calculate an approximation of the flat shape from the curved part?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Rhino's smash command or Exactflat are two options. Otherwise you would need to manually divide the surfaces into a bunch of triangles and use the sheetmetal tools to flatten a rougher approximation.
  • Options
    7Cs7Cs Member Posts: 7
    S1mon´s advice is right. I made the hull in Rhino and all te rest in Onshape. The only downside is that Rhino its not free and it is local ( you can crack if know how to do... but its too much work). I Hope OnShape one day get this function. Than we will have a free ultimate CAD software that can plan a boat from ground up ( on a hobbiest level).