Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Diameter dimension on iPad app

I’m new to OnShape and work on iPad and Mac, and making my way through the tutorials.
I’ve reached “03. FEATURE CREATION” in “Introduction to Part Design” where I’m supposed to define a sketch to be used for the revolver tool. 
The issue I’m having is how do I make the dimension that define the diameter that the revolver tool use on the iPad app?

When I select the lines in the sketch the dimension just become the distance between them, and I can’t figure out how make it a diameter.

Best Answer

• Options
    steve_shubinsteve_shubin Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓

REGARDING THE POST DIRECTLY ABOVE

There’s a horizontal construction line (dashed line) going through the origin. I used this to mirror around

So the FIRST THING YOU DO IS select that construction line going through the origin

THEN you select the mirror tool

IMPORTANT — be aware that you have to select the line that you want to mirror around BEFORE you select the mirror tool

Then you click on the lines that you want to mirror.

Now as far as the angled lines that were at 3°, what I did was I drew a construction line from point to point and then mirrored that.

So once you have all of these mirrored lines down below, you could dimension off of them

P.S. I would’ve shown this way first, but I wasn’t sure if you wanted to have the diameter symbol in front of the number for the dimension. That’s why I showed that other way first, because that does allow you to have that symbol in front of the number displaying the dimension

ONE OTHER NOTE — in my SECOND post, notice how I was able to display the dimensions for two different sketches simultaneously. This is something unique to the mobile version of Onshape. Last I checked you cannot do this on the desktop version of Onshape.

Answers

• Options

The issue I’m having is how do I make the dimension that define the diameter …

When I select the LINES …

i’m not familiar with the tutorial.

But I can offer this.

If you’re tapping on a straight line segment, then it sounds like you’re tapping on the wrong thing.

If you want the diameter of a circle, then using the dimension tool — tap on the circle

• Options
    thomas_åkerlundthomas_åkerlund Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for taking time to answer my question. I realize that I should have included a screenshot of the tutorial.
    Below you can see the drawing from the tutorial that I’m working on. The diameters I’m finding it difficult to assign are shown on the left side (Ø3, Ø2.75, Ø1, Ø0.5) Since I asked the question I’ve found that I can specify the radius of each, i.e. R1.5, R1.375, R0.5, R0.25 by entering the dimension from construction line to the line in the part that I want to use revolver on. Which works as a workaround, but I still don’t know how to create the dimensions as diameters.

Any suggestions are very welcome, Thanks

• Options
    Note that I’m using the Pierce constraint to connect lines in the I shape (Sketch 2) to the circles in Sketch 1.

• Options
    edited September 2023
    Or will this work for you ?
    PART STUDIO 2

• Options
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓

REGARDING THE POST DIRECTLY ABOVE

There’s a horizontal construction line (dashed line) going through the origin. I used this to mirror around

So the FIRST THING YOU DO IS select that construction line going through the origin

THEN you select the mirror tool

IMPORTANT — be aware that you have to select the line that you want to mirror around BEFORE you select the mirror tool

Then you click on the lines that you want to mirror.

Now as far as the angled lines that were at 3°, what I did was I drew a construction line from point to point and then mirrored that.

So once you have all of these mirrored lines down below, you could dimension off of them

P.S. I would’ve shown this way first, but I wasn’t sure if you wanted to have the diameter symbol in front of the number for the dimension. That’s why I showed that other way first, because that does allow you to have that symbol in front of the number displaying the dimension

ONE OTHER NOTE — in my SECOND post, notice how I was able to display the dimensions for two different sketches simultaneously. This is something unique to the mobile version of Onshape. Last I checked you cannot do this on the desktop version of Onshape.