Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Mate Connectors Need Some Love

S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
edited September 2023 in Product Feedback
I've become more and more dependent on Multi Mate Connector from @konstantin_shiriazdanov. Unfortunately he doesn't seem to be active and maintaining it any more.

MMC is great for adding MCs to a bunch of parts all at the same place, and it also has some features to allow mate connectors to be placed in locations which can't be easily done with the built in tools. However, it's not great at keeping the internal IDs consistent, so I end up having to redo mates in my assemblies more than I would like. This is a great example of how, as users, we come to depend on custom features because important functionality is missing in Onshape, but without maintenance, these custom tools can be frustrating.

In general, there are so many places where mate connectors could use some little improvements:

1. Allow the standard MC tool to add stable MCs to more than one part at a time (i.e. replace most of what I use MMC for) Ability to assign one mate connector to several parts at time
  2. More options for placing MCs on curves and surfaces: Mate Connector Normal to End of CurveMate Connectors Normal to Rounds and SurfacesAllow Curves to Use Mate Connectors as VerticesAlign mate connector with primary axis normal to curve or non linear edge
  3. Allow mate connectors to belong to a sketchMate Connectors in SketchesAllow mate connectors to be owned by surfaces and curves
  4. Measurement improvements: Measure Angles from Mate ConnectorMeasure Mate Connector Orientationmeasure between mate connectors in mate connector frameMeasure from more mate connectors (midpoints, centroids, etc.)
  5. More orientation options when creating MCs: Realign Secondary Axis of Mate Connector to a hole or other similar featuresMate Connector definition from another Mate ConnectorMate Connector placed "Between Entity" on two drafted surfaces should lie on the mid-plane, More Primary Axis Options for Origin Mate Connector in Part Studio3 point option for implicit mate connector
  6. Naming/finding: Automatically name mates with name of first part selectedEasier Way to Find Mates Associated with Parts
  7. Improve UX of limit mates: Mate option to flip offset/limit direction
  8. Promoting implicit to explicit (we have some clever ease of use things with variables, now is the time to do this with MCs): Toggle Implicit Mate Connector to Explicit Mate ConnectorKeep Implicit Mate Connector after Use
  9. Enabling implicit MCs in more and more places: Move Face with Point to Point TranslationMeasure Tool: Implicit Mate connector function to measure distance between two mate connectors 
These are just some of my key MC related IRs, but there are a ton more.

Maybe because there are so many "paper cut" level annoyances, and many of these don't get a ton of votes, they don't get the focus they need. However, I see them collectively as a ton of opportunities to make small changes which add to more systematic ways to use the power of MCs to accomplish modeling and assembly tasks.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Konst_ShKonst_Sh Member Posts: 42 PRO
    Let me ask what is desired behavior for keeping consistent internal id's? It is only affected by owner bodies selection order, I could use slightly improved version of this approach - `forEachEntity` function but that basically all

• Options
    @Konst_Sh
    Glad to see you on here.

What I'm seeing with MMC is that bodies which manage to keep their names and show up in the assembly just fine, but MMC looses track and/or it still creates a MC, but the assembly mate shows the MC as missing.
  • Options
    Rhett_RobinsonRhett_Robinson Member Posts: 95 PRO
    @S1mon this list is fantastic! I went through and upvoted any that I hadn't voted on already. Definitely want to see the mate connectors become even more powerful!
  • Options
    Hm, Honestly I haven't tested it for stability with assemblies, assuming that if MC with same creating operation id is attached to same part in part studio and no regen errors occured then it should be good for assemblies. If it doesn't then whatever goes wrong is occuring outside of featurescript responsibility. Without knowing how exactly onshape defines MC identity we can only guess whats going on there

• Options
    Hm, Honestly I haven't tested it for stability with assemblies, assuming that if MC with same creating operation id is attached to same part in part studio and no regen errors occured then it should be good for assemblies. If it doesn't then whatever goes wrong is occuring outside of featurescript responsibility. Without knowing how exactly onshape defines MC identity we can only guess whats going on there

• Options
    @Konst_Sh

One simple improvement to MMC I'd love to see: the ability to name the mate connector.
    1. Name them all the same with a text input in the feature creation dialog (e.g. "MC origin")
    2. For extra credit, have an option to add the name of the part to the text
  • Options
    I was also interested in MC naming, but seem that it is also not possible currently in featurescript