Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Use a part (downloaded) in another part I that designed to create a feature

jake_wise449jake_wise449 Member Posts: 8
I looked at the online On Shape manual, YT and Google searches for the answer to my question but I am pretty sure that I am not using the correct terminology or this is not possible.

I have designed a small electronics box for my most recent project, the project will be powered by USB C.  In the past I would measure and guestimate to make a hole in the wall of the box for a feature.  As I get more comfortable with On Shape I am trying to learn better ways to accomplish tasks.  So I found a female USB C step file on GrabCAD that fits my needs.  What I cannot figure out is how to import this into the electronics box drawing, once imported I want to use the USB C drawing to extrude an opening in the side of my electronics box so when I print the box its a clean fit.

In my quest to figure this out I have learned how to import the step file, create an assembly and I understand how to join the mating surfaces to join parts in the assembly.  I don't think what I want to do would be done in an assembly but am glad I learned that, very cool feature!

In other words I would like to import a part into an existing drawing and use the part to model additional features.  Ideally creating a hole with the existing part to ensure a good fit.  I wish I could explain it better but please ask if I left things unclear.  Maybe this isn't possible???

Comments

• Options
    wayne_sauderwayne_sauder Member, csevp Posts: 482 PRO
    @jake_wise449
     If I understand right? One of the tools you can use is in context. Insert your USB-C into the assembly and mate it to whatever it is connected to then edit your electronics box with incontext editing. 
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,528 PRO
    Another way you could approach it would be to "derive" your connector in the part studio but it does seem like in context editing as suggested by @wayne_sauder is the best option here and it sounds like you already have the assembly so should be simple.

Here's a practical example of in-context editing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lU8w-8ccupQ (jump to 3:10 if you want to go straight to the most relevant part...)

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,384 PRO
    edited September 2023
    BTW. I would recommend explicitly picking a brand/model of connector. Grabbing something random off of GrabCAD is only so useful. In my experience, things like USB connectors are fairly well standardized when it comes to the parts that the user mates, but the connector body and PCB pads/hole patterns can vary. Sometimes there will be several vendors which produce models which are interchangeable, but there are instances of connectors which may not have alternates (e.g. some styles of waterproof micro USB parts are single source). Some connectors can also be variants with special features which may not be so common (e.g. sometimes locating pins for SMT parts are an option which is in the catalog, but not easily available).

Finding something on Digikey and downloading CAD from there or the manufacturer's site is far more reliable.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 675 PRO
    In context editing is what you want for this, as mentioned above. It's in the training section.

FYI for vocabulary: "drawing" = the 2d piece of paper that shows a design with multiple views, dimensions, your name for credit, a revision block, etc. A lot of people on youtube are calling everything to do with CAD "drawings". It is incorrect.

"solid model" is the more appropriate term. Or, the onshape term is "part studio" for parts, and "assembly studio" for assemblies.
  • Options
    @wayne_sauder 
    Wayne, 
    This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the help! 
  • Options
    @eric_pesty
    Eric, Thanks for the video, that really helped to figure out in-context editing!
  • Options
    @S1mon Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    @nick_papageorge073 Thanks, I'll use that vocab, clears things up.