Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Derived Part From Pasted Tab

wileywiley OS Professional Posts: 17 PRO
edited July 2016 in Community Support
Hi,

I'm trying to add geometry from one tab to another using derived part. However, the parts from the pasted-in tabs don't show up in the list of derivable parts. This seems true for both pasted tabs and imported part studios. Is there a way to do this, or will there be a way in the near future? 

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm - works OK for me. Are you trying to see the derived parts list from the pasted part studio, or from another PS in the pasted-to document?

(Only the latter works at the present time: you cannot derive parts or sketches into their own PS)
  • Options
    @andrew_troup After playing around a bit, it looks like I'm only having the issue with a couple of part studios. It works just fine with other documents and even new part studios within the offending document. I submitted a ticket.

I'm using it to build fixturing to machine parts. I have a Fixtures document that contains vices, blank soft jaws, etc. I past these in to my part document, then derive the part to machine into the new tab (with a vice and soft jaws, say) and then model my fixtures from there. I also have some stock geometry that's complex enough to not want to model for every new part, so I past that in as well and derive into the new part and union the two. 
  • Options
    Looks like it was a document that was slow to sync with Monday's update. Works now.