Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Correct way to project a derived shape onto a sketch?

stephen_sherwood846stephen_sherwood846 Member Posts: 15
I needed to design a part in a Part Studo (the yellow part shown in the image) which represents a bought component. I wish to accuratly produce a cutout for this part in another part studio. I created a test part studio shown in the image and placed the yellow compent in as Derived.

I tried creating a sketch on the target part but could not see the derived drawing, so I created an offset plane inbetween and created on sketch on this. I had hoped I could simply select the boundary and right click and "use" to project the selected lines on the sketch but that option was not available. In the end I had to redraw the derived part onto the sketch on the plane (it did let me use constraints against the derived object) and then create a second sketch on the target plane where I could then "use" lines selected from the sketch on the plane. From the I could extrude the cutout,

Is there an easier way of doing this sort of thing?

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    @stephen_sherwood846
    Not sure I completely understand the problem. Here is an example of how I would approach this. No offset planes are needed. Sketch for mating part is on the face of the derived part. In fact the derived part isn't necessarily needed unless you want for organizing.
    Don't forget that you can insert the purchased item into an assembly and make the matching part by in context editing. The use function works there also when making new sketches.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8176bf42ef782f8303d3ee92/w/9a054da62eb5b27426d906a3/e/c679ef1e23839e4887360c60
  • Options
    stephen_sherwood846stephen_sherwood846 Member Posts: 15
    I was trying to project a sketch onto the part that needed a section removing. I didn't think to sketch directly on the derived part with it in the correct place and removing the section by extruding that. That does work better. Thanks.