Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Bend being split when exporting DXF.

rammaramma Member Posts: 4
Hi, I'm trying to finish up a sheet metal project but running into an issue where when exporting the DXF file a bend is getting interpreted as 2 despite being shown as 1. The bend is split by an extrude that removes an area between two sides while adding reliefs, saving some weight, but most importantly, allowing some screw holes to sit closer to the edge between the bends. Onshape sees it as one bend, as it is since it's all the same flange, but I'm not sure how to keep that as a single bend when exporting to DXF for laser cutting (sendcutsend or ponoko both seeing it as 2 bends). Any ideas or better solutions?

Here's a simplified example document showing the issue. I named the sketch that causes the issue as such, and roughly placed screw holes to show what I'm trying to achieve with the gap between the bends.  - https://cad.onshape.com/documents/6ebc6ce54a54ac7ca55b6f37/w/9f1041fecde7676bd8156f3c/e/4bd686fb4443577911b26ef5?renderMode=0&rightPanel=sheetMetalPanel&uiState=6512b8a7fb3f4b602b543b35

Answers

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    rammaramma Member Posts: 4
    I really appreciate the reply!
    That does solve a minor issue. Being that the area between the bends was also showing a bend when wouldn't actually be impacted by the bending process used, so it's really helpful to know there's a way to prevent that now.

Unfortunately though, when exporting the bends are still being treated as separate bends despite still showing as 1 bend in onshape. Here's a photo of what I mean in the sendcutsend order interface -

Their support articles do say bends on a common axis like that are possible. They just need to be joined across the gap to be seen as a single bend.