Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Arranging Documents

How can I set the 'My Documents' page to sort the documents by name by default?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    viru said:
    @nightmare_attack , Currently in Onshape user defined selection filter is not available for 'My Documents' page . You can raise the ticket for this. I hope in near future this facility will provided by Onshape. If you wanted to sort the documents by your name then click on created by me folder. Then you will get all the document created by you.

Unfortunately (and inexplicably) when you are on "My Documents" -- at least, when I am -- and I search for a given word string, Onshape searches the entire Public model list, as well as "My Documents".

This becomes increasingly problematic over time, given that the Public model list is growing exponentially.
  • Options
    Narayan_KNarayan_K Member Posts: 379 ✭✭✭
    @ andrew_troup , Search document option makes some confusion here.In such case i m using browser find bar.It works better(Pressing Ctrl+F) than search document option. It will highlight all matching words in view page. 
  • Options
    andrew_troupandrew_troup Member, Mentor Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Narayan_K said:
    @ andrew_troup , Search document option makes some confusion here.In such case i m using browser find bar.It works better(Pressing Ctrl+F) than search document option. It will highlight all matching words in view page. 
    Thanks very much for that great tip: I had wrongly assumed that the browser's "Find" would only find files showing on the page

It turns out that it will find files which are off the screen, regardless of how many "Page Down" scroll moves it takes to get to them.
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    edited December 2015
    @Narayan_K The find does work well, it also works on all tab's in a doc regardless of what is visible.

@andrew_troup I also find I when searching for something of "mine" using the main search tool I end having a list public doc's. This really renders the search tool useless for personal/company doc's. What I really want is a way to search with filter (my documents or company names) but also want an optional advanced search to drill down to tab names and meta properties.  
    Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977   
  • Options
    _Ðave__Ðave_ Member, Developers Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭
    Search tools are fine but I would still like to have folders.
  • Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    I would prefer tags (with folder like interface) so that I can put common documents in multiple folders without creating copies.
    //rami
  • Options
    brucebartlettbrucebartlett Member, OS Professional, Mentor, User Group Leader Posts: 2,137 PRO
    3dcad said:
    I would prefer tags (with folder like interface) so that I can put common documents in multiple folders without creating copies.
    This my preference, better filters(more than just company's) and tagging. You could almost consider the current Onshape documents as a kind of the project folder which holds all project related info. 

Engineer ı Product Designer ı Onshape Consulting Partner
    Twitter: @onshapetricks  & @babart1977