Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Parts list in alphabetical order

bipe_bfkfbipe_bfkf Member Posts: 7
Is there any way to order the "Parts" list by alpabethical order? 

Comments

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    It's kinda painful but you can manually drag the parts up and down the instance list. Not so effective if there are a lot of parts.
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    This looks like a part studio so you can't do what @glen_dewsbury is suggesting, that would work in an assembly though...
    In a part studio, the parts are listed in the order they are created by the feature tree .

My question would be why you want to do this in the first place, there isn't much you can do in the part studio but you just want the list you could insert the whole part studio on an assembly and use the BOM table to copy the list for example...

• Options
    This looks like a part studio so you can't do what @glen_dewsbury is suggesting, that would work in an assembly though...
    In a part studio, the parts are listed in the order they are created by the feature tree .

My question would be why you want to do this in the first place, there isn't much you can do in the part studio but you just want the list you could insert the whole part studio on an assembly and use the BOM table to copy the list for example...

Indeed, this is Part studio. I need to alphabetical order this list to make it easier to indentify the parts with the same name. I´m really impressed how such basic function is not  available in a so complex and wonderful tool like Onshape. 
  • Options
    Indeed, this is Part studio. I need to alphabetical order this list to make it easier to indentify the parts with the same name. I´m really impressed how such basic function is not  available in a so complex and wonderful tool like Onshape. 
  • Options

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 594 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Must have been napping when I read the post. B)
    Yes it would be nice to sort the part list as well.
  • Options

• Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,530 PRO
    @bipe_bfkf
    I guess that could come in handy sometimes, you should create an actual improvement request (if there isn't already one)...

However inserting the whole part studio in an empty assembly can be done quickly and you can rename the parts directly from the BOM. With the cross highlighting between the 3D view and table that's actually a pretty decent workaround...
    You just have to make sure you have the "name" column shown and you can double-click the header to sort the BOM by that column.