Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Save Custom Appearance Profiles at the Project or Org Level

alex_crease557alex_crease557 Member Posts: 2
Please allow custom appearance profiles to be saved at the project- or organization-level similar to how the Materials Library works, such that when a color is updated, it propagates wherever that color is referenced in the whole assembly.

We work on large assemblies that require a consistent color scheme across many different parts. Currently, to maintain color consistency, we have to go in and create custom colors that we apply to the relevant bodies and faces at the part studio level. Since custom colors are saved at the user-level, one user in our organization maintains a list of the correct hexcodes for each color we use in our branding that others can copy in. If we want to change a color, we have to go in and adjust the color for every single relevant face in a large assembly with multiple part studios, which is time-consuming and tedious. 

As a concrete example, imagine you are designing a red car with black decal work. If you want to test out a different color scheme, such as blue with white decals, then every single body panel part on the car needs to be opened up to have its appearance changed to the same set of colors. If instead, you could have a high-level "appearance group" to apply colors to all body panels at once and another group for the decals, then this process would go much faster.

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    The solution I ended up using for our needs at my company was to create a custom feature which applies the appearance from a predefined list of colors. These can be modified or added to, by editing the FeatureScript. The custom feature also writes a variant code property and color name to the metadata of the part.

see this discussion: https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/17941/variants-in-enterprise

I would strongly support improvements which would simplify this stuff. I’ve suggested an appearance study, much like a variable studio, which could be imported into a part studio or assembly, and used there.