Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Managing Onshape Drawing Revisions: Starting at Revision # for Migrated Designs

Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
edited October 2023 in Drawings
Hello Forum Members,
I've recently migrated some legacy 2D engineering drawings to Onshape and am now recreating and modelling these drawings within the Onshape platform. However, I have a specific requirement: I need the new Onshape engineering drawings to be at the next revision level, with the description "moved to Onshape" or a similar notation.
Currently, my drawing is at revision C. Since the Onshape drawing is a new creation, it typically starts at revision A. To align it with my existing revision level, which is C, and ensure that when I release the drawing, it advances to revision D, here's what I need to know:
How can I adjust the starting revision of the Onshape drawing to revision C?
Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Comments

• Options
    philip_7philip_7 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @Nath_McC you can set the drawing revision manually in the Drawing's properties:

If you are using release management, you can also set it when creating a release candidate:

• Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 520
    I created a support ticket for @Nath_McC.  We don't have a revision jumping capability ahead of the first time you release.   We do have an improvement on a revision jumping behavior in the revision table to make this flow a little better.  With Release management, once the revision is approved you should see the revisions and callouts correctly callout and document that revision level in the table.  So initially it might say "A", but if you released it D, then after release the table entry and callouts will say "D" and not A.  We have an awkward moment currently in the time before you release a drawing where you wanted it to jump to something other than your first revision in schema.  
  • Options
    Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
    Thank you for the reply @pete_yodis. This worked great.
    What threw me off when I first updated the revision property was that the revision table did not update. It stayed at A. however once the release progress was completed. it then updates.
  • Options
    PeteYodisPeteYodis Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 520
    edited October 2023
    @Nath_McC Yes, our revision table is in coordination with Release Management, so it takes care to write things properly back to the drawing
    as the process is approved.  Because we host the drawing application, release management, and the PDM system of record -  we can do it this way.  
  • Options
    philip_7philip_7 Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    @Nath_McC - looks like I misunderstood what you were asking. Glad PeteYodis is on the case!
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    For situations where you have different scheme for Drawings vs Parts - you also need to remember to manually jump to your desired first Revision for Drawings.

You can set up custom schemes - by adding a text file with all your Revisions. This is in Release Management settings (at least in Enterprise). 

For instance:

A
    B
    C
    D

So when I release a drawing for the First time, I set the Revision to "1".. and it releases correctly. Then for subsequent releases - it looks at the list and increments appropriately.

Can't wait for Drawing Revisions to automatically jump to the correct start point in my Custom list @pete_yodis !