Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

what's the name of this very common anti-rotation feature that prevents two surfaces from rotating?

ode_tujoyode_tujoy Member Posts: 14
I'm trying to sketch something that I don't even know the name of. 
Its a really common feature that you see on a lot of things; e.g a rotating part joined to a fixed part, like a phone holder or anything where you have two or more surfaces that you need to lock into place. The lock mechanism is usually a thumbscrew that passes through the two parts.
The face of the "feature" is a concentric series of V-shaped ramps (peaks and valleys) with a hole in the center by which a bolt or thumbscrew passes. Both parts when mated together lock into place by way of interlocking within each others peaks and valleys. This prevents the two faces from rotating. To adjust, you unscrew the clamping device till the "ramps" clear each other, rotate to a new position, then re-clamp allowing the ramps to re-engage, thus locking the part.

I'm sorry if I'm not describing it very well. I see it everywhere, I'm sure you have too. Its a super common anti rotation feature.
I'm having trouble sketching this feature and want to see if google can help but for starters I don't know what this type of pattern is called. 

Please forgive. I'm just a hobbyist with only two unique drawings under my belt. 

Comments

• Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 108
    This is called a Hirth joint or Hirth Coupling

• Options
    Evan_ReeseEvan_Reese Member Posts: 2,068 PRO
    I've never known the name of them even though I've designed them. Thanks, Greg! In googling it I found a tutorial for it using Onshape, so that seems relevant. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbBrf8WJM5o
    Evan Reese / Principal and Industrial Designer with Ovyl
  • Options
    ode_tujoyode_tujoy Member Posts: 14
    This is great! Thank you!
    Hearth Joint... I would've never in a million years figured that out. 

You all rock!