Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Choose feature instead of individual faces to determine tangency for loft

fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited October 2023 in General
I am creating a cascade of pairwise lofted sketches. Those sketches have a linear pattern that is driven by a variable inside, so the number of points and faces of the resulting lofted parts changes depending on this parameter. For some of the lofts it would be important to follow the tangency/curvature of the previous and next lofts. I can do that by setting the start- and end-profile conditions to "adapt to tangets/curvature" and selecting all the faces of the previous respectively following lofts. This works, but as soon as I change the parameter that drives the patterns inside the sketches I have to redo the selection of the faces, because these change.
Is there a way to select the previous/next loft itself as tangency-reference and let Onshape auto-select all the faces that are adjacent to the new loft and use those as tangent/curvature conditions?
Particularly when using "add" instead of "new" the loft would know anyways which other lofts it will be connected to. Perhaps I wouldn't even have to select any volume-body/faces in that case and Onshape could just use all adjacent faces by default?
P.S.: Here the design, the loft in question is "RampLoft" and the critical parameter that drives the sketch patterns is "num_pipes" in the Parameter variable studio (currently I have manually added the faces, so it works for num_pipes=3): https://cad.onshape.com/documents/ead2047a4b3b3c571cec6a6b/w/9863216af2222537d0865122/e/09efebde22ae5e56ccdf9789?renderMode=0&uiState=652b0d1f00d0d26f906a5acb

Comments

• Options
    fstfst Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Thought I found a seemingly promising option (but couldn't get it to work): I moved the RampLoft loft to the end of the construction history and instead of selecting the sketches I selected the opposing inner faces of the lofts before and after the RampLoft this time. And then I could choose an option "tangential to profile".
    Unfortunately I see nothing as a result, the loft is just shown in red, writing "cannot compute". What am I doing wrong?