Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Extrude from sketch on face, without awareness of the face

gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
I often want to extrude exactly what I defined in my sketch, but Extrude is aware of the face on which the sketch was created, and wants to extrude that instead. See here my sketch on a face:

And how Extrude lets me select face:

How do I extrude the exact sketch area, disregarding the face as it was before the sketch?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    ImpulsePDImpulsePD Member Posts: 6 PRO
    I'm not 100% sure I understand your question, but I'm wondering, if you check the "Disable Imprinting" check box in the sketch, if it fixes your issue?
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,516 PRO
    You can select specific regions of the sketch to extrude (instead of just the sketch overall) or as @ImpulsePD use the "disable imprinting" option and it will not "pickup" the underling face edges (and also won't automatically create relations to these edges while you are sketching).
  • Options
    gauthier_östervallgauthier_östervall Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    @ImpulsePD, @eric_pesty Disable imprinting was what I was looking for, thanks! 

I'm aware of selecting specific regions of the sketch, if you look at my screenshots it's what I'm trying to do. It just didn't feel right not to be able to pick a region I drew as *one* region, but to have it split to smaller parts because of imprinting. I somehow expected this option to be in the selection, rather than the sketch itself.