Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What is the right way to divide and shape the inside of a bowl

mike_hockingsmike_hockings Member Posts: 11
I have made a bowl that fits our cat feeder tray, fits fine but now I would like to shape the inside in a couple of ways and how to do this is not clear to this neophyte
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/283a2f6afb1757aa3a2f01c0/w/2f954d7efadd00823dea56b3/e/5ed78ee76e525b0a2588734e
One simple variation is to just plunk a divider down the center.  I tried to create a sketch on the lip and extrude down but the inner face is multiple sections and extrude-to-face produces odd results or a mess that I have to trim off the outside so there must be a better way?

Next I want to create a better shaped inner surface that angles toward the front center so that the dry food will drift in that direction.  Would that be another revolve along a path around the back and sides of the inner lip?  This I was thinking that I could figure out but is there a better way?

Lastly I was thinking of a variation where using a divided bowl there were two nicely curved bowls inside.  If I revolve around the inner edge it would not be smooth because of the divider but if I draw another line to revolve with how do you get it to seam perfectly with the bowl's inner edge?

Please keep any explanations simple-minded as I am far from an expert onshape user, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    Hello Mike. Perhaps not the right way but what I did was to create a plane to split the bowl to create the 'swoop' you described (I was guessing that was your intention). Then in the middle of the bowl I created another plane and used that to make the divider sketch on. Using the same plane I created the lip sketch.
    My copy of your document is below. - Scotty

• Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 607 ✭✭✭
    Hey Scott. Here's an example with I think a more straight forward work flow
    1 Extrude with draft ( main body )
    2 fillet
    3 shell

4 extrude to add flange
    5 rib with draft (the rib tool is quite robust and is made to fill in the blanks without having to sketch a complete profile)

additional fillets and rounding are optional as well as draft angles
    I wasn't sure if the raised bottom was the intent. Kinda looked like maybe covering an edge that wasn't supposed to be there in the sweep profile.

Hope this is helpful.  :)
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/391eec20fbbae272a5eb70ad/w/38a4c38c979e4a51d3d36864/e/fe31accd745e2a86a901faf9

• Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 342 ✭✭✭
    Whoa! That is clean. Thanks for posting, Glen (and others). These forums are a great place to discover and learn. - Scotty
  • Options
    glen_dewsburyglen_dewsbury Member Posts: 607 ✭✭✭
    @robert_scott_jr_
    Just a side note. There is no absolute about where to start a part. I personally find that working from the origin and the supplied planes, saves me from having to make a lot of other planes as I go. Don't forget also that there are implicit mates all over the geometry that can be used as sketch planes with out adding to the feature list clutter.

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 687 PRO
    From a design perspective, I think if you split it into two sections, each should be "round" or "oval" in shape. The reason is so the kitty cat can get the food in the corners. Take a look at this idea. Screenshot and link:

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/77c75aa841284ecf6c42f870/v/fd8c38a8aab0d10e76bb3117/e/07f9fc4c308dc438be3d4f7e

• Options
    mike_hockingsmike_hockings Member Posts: 11
    From a design perspective, I think if you split it into two sections, each should be "round" or "oval" in shape. The reason is so the kitty cat can get the food in the corners. Take a look at this idea. Screenshot and link:
    Nice,I like that. What I had tried before was simply to mimic the split bowl design that the feeder manufacturer makes but this is certainly better!

Hello Mike. Perhaps not the right way but what I did was to create a plane to split the bowl to create the 'swoop' you described (I was guessing that was your intention). Then in the middle of the bowl I created another plane and used that to make the divider sketch on. Using the same plane I created the lip sketch.
    My copy of your document is below. - Scotty
    Hi Scotty, I thought I had commented before but I don't see the comment now, same with Nick's, sigh.

I see how you did it, in retrospect it all makes sense.  I still have much to learn.  Thank you for taking the time to provide the guidance!
    Hey Scott. Here's an example with I think a more straight forward work flow
    Wowzers, that certainly is a pretty refined way to make the shape and now I know about the shell tool!  I did the sweep in my attempt as I didn't even know of the shell tool.  You have expanded my horizons.

M