Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How can I make this typical U shaped "trough" into V shaped trough?

price_cobbprice_cobb Member Posts: 28
Hello.
I'm in the process of drawing up a part that is not longer made for a friend of mine and have run out of ideas. Truth is, I'm pretty sure that this trough (or groove) needs to be replicated to mimic the part 100% but then I don't know that so might as well make the part just exactly like the part handed to me.

I've run out of ideas and openly admit my getting stuck is sometimes lack of imagination and sometimes simply that I don't know how to apply a tool in OnShape to reach the desired result.  

The picture on the left is looking down on on the part with the red arrows pointing to the trough as it is a the moment. Note that the trough is on three sides only. Look closely and you can see that the bottom is without trough.

Looking at the sectioned picture on the right, you can see the trough laying at the bottom of the green arrow and red lines. If you look at the red lines, they are laid back to indicate how I'd like this side of the trough to be formed. Doing so eliminates the brown are the green arrow points too.  

If the pictures don't show well enough what I'm trying to do please let me know.  I've shared this for Onshape folk to see as well as include the link here.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f615f2579c8da1ae32e8ba53/w/c36488fc309618e00b9b106e/e/9a7b517d91b0511452f1e65b
Thanks everyone for helping. 

Best Answer

Answers