Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

What do you prefer: PC vs Mac for using onshape?

Which is your pick, and do you think it is superior? 

Best Answer

• Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 214 PRO
    Answer ✓
    What I think is suprior is that it doesn't matter!  No joke, I've got a Mac, a PC, a Chromebook, an iPad, and an iPhone and I CAD on all of them.

Answers

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,375 PRO
    Inside Onshape, there's not much difference - that's the whole point of browser based CAD. I personally prefer working on a Mac, and for years lived with Solidworks running on Windows on bootcamp just to have nice hardware. My last Solidworks Apple MacBook pro laptop didn't even have MacOS on it, sadly.

Now I have a great Mac and haven't had to touch Windows for a couple years.
  • Options
    Matt_ShieldsMatt_Shields Member Posts: 214 PRO
    Answer ✓
    What I think is suprior is that it doesn't matter!  No joke, I've got a Mac, a PC, a Chromebook, an iPad, and an iPhone and I CAD on all of them.
  • Options
    edward_petrilloedward_petrillo Member Posts: 79 EDU
    What worked for me (I'm a heavy user but an amateur)  was to go to Best Buy and log in to OS on several of the recommended machines.  I tried navigating some of my own documents and a few public ones.  Nothing like sampling the full experience- graphics performance (run the OS performance test!), keyboard layout, time to boot up, etc. rather than relying on specs.  I ended up with a Chromebook and a moderately powerful Windows gaming desktop. (I'm weak on Mac experience) . Another huge benefit from CAD in the cloud.
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 280 ✭✭✭
    I have been trying Onshape on Mac, Win and Linux, and as long as I was working inside Onshape, they were all just fine. That's one reason to use Onshape after all. As soon as it comes to selecting or searching for files to upload, though, Windows file search still sucks, the Mac is okay, but the Linux is by far fastest and most task-focused. I still need to use E.G. Catia now and then, which prefers Win. It is the non-Onshape part that makes the difference.

That said, I recently had a whole new experience: Since the Mac supports 6K displays in very good quality and speed, there is now a 85" 6K Display mounted on the wall opposite the desk in the appropriate distance. Except for the mouse, spacemouse and keyboard, there is no more computer stuff cluttering the desk any more, and working is like being in a cinema. All desk surface is available for good ole pencil and paper sketching, samples, tea mugs and such. Discussing a design with others is also much more relaxed now, too. That is definitely something to consider.