Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Cannot boolean-subtract an imported part?

andrew_williamson036andrew_williamson036 Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited November 2023 in Using Onshape
Good morning all

I'm looking to create a screw-on cap for some plugs I have, to take the tension of the wires coming out, and I found a model for the plug, so I thought that would be great, I could just mock up a quick cover, subtract the imported part and get the negative, make it look decent and job done. However, even though they're intersecting, Onshape says "Selected tools and targets do not intersect" and I realised that unless the imported part is completely within the block, then nothing happens. I just wanted to cut by the end where the thread is.

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/7e1495b8f55008dc91511532/w/7daab4a4a0a45636b7481a22/e/a246a14c18edc38666e63093?renderMode=0&uiState=654617a26b92f969c4b474e9

Any help gratefully received! I found that if I completely enclosed the imported part, then I could remove it, but I just need the end (within the grey section below). I tried completely enclosing the imported part in a block, subtracting, and then splitting that, but no joy either.

I found a suggestion here about using an Extrude-remove, but that seems to suffer the same issue in that unless the whole part is removed, I get nothing.

Best Answer

Answers