Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Difficulties inserting countersunk standard bolts

martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
I'm trying to insert standard content countersunk bolts into a countersunk bore. It appears the common reference point for both is the point of the cone of the countersunk face. Fine. While it is quite easy to grab the bolt by the mate connector located at the respective point, snapping it onto the point representing the bore reference appears close to impossible: That one lies outside the face, and even though it diplays fine while I hover over the counterbore face, it diappears as soon as I move towards it, that is into the hole, as this move forces me to stop hovering over the face. 

I found nothing detailed about the procedure in the documentation.

What secret trick am I missing?

Comments

• Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,389 PRO
    The secret is to wake up the conical reference (hovering over it), then hold shift, then left click on the virtual tip of the cone.
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Ah, that's the trick. Works like charm now. Thanks! :0)

I've searched the help documentation and found only the CTRL key mentioned several times, like: "While hovering over an active Mate connector, use the Ctrl key to cycle through available Mate connectors on the entity being inserted." But it didn't say anything about the mates of the part inserting to and the use of the SHIFT key.

Maybe the help files could be enhanced by mentioning both options?