Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

STL export having issues?

ricardo_raimondoricardo_raimondo Member Posts: 33
edited November 2023 in Using Onshape
I created a part shelling a solid and exported it to STL, and sent it to the Prusa slicer, looked good, but at printing the printer did a couple of layers and then start jumping and messed up the print. I tried it Using Cura and other printers and had the same problem.
Previously, I used the same tools with an STL file created out of a solid part, and everything worked just fine.

Comments

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    When I've had this problem I usually re-export and move it to a different position on the bed. This seems to fix things in the past. Not very scientific, I know, but I think it often works

• Options
    _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 278
    If everything looks correct in the slicer preview, it's a problem somewhere between the slicer and printer. Did you examine the first few sliced layers? Also, shelling parts is a nuanced approach: you don't want the walls too thin.

If you share your doc and export settings, we could help further.
  • Options
    ricardo_raimondoricardo_raimondo Member Posts: 33
    GWS50: I think the problem may have been not flattening the piece properly in the slicer by the person who did the printout. He will be printing a new piece this week, which I arranged to be flat in the slicer by default. The previous one had an angle to the horizontal in the CAD.

Anton: Yes, I checked the first layers in the slicer and they looked OK, once I figured out how to flatten them properly. Here is the original file.
    Also, given that I though, like you suggested there was something between the slicer and the printer, I  designed a hole cube using different extrusion/loft/thicken methods to check if there were some weird situations and they all printed fine, which made me think that the problem was the way the person managed the file in his slicer was the problem. I do not have a printer, therefore I cannot verify what is going on.