Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Non Geometric BoM Items and flexible components.

RobinBGRobinBG Member, Developers Posts: 9 PRO
Hi all,

What is the "Reference" field in the Insert item to BoM dialogue and how does it work ?

When using a part as reference for such an item, is there a way to have a callout in the drawing refering to the item properties (if the part itself is marked as excluded from the BoM) ?

I am wondering if it would be a good tool for managing flexible geometry too, like if a cable is used in multiple places in an assembly, it would be the same PN with different geometry but I can't release multiple CAD versions of the same part number if it makes sense ? I am wondering if I can marke the CAD of the cable as excluded from the BoM, and add 3x the matching item for example. But the issue with this is so far I can't link the cable to the BoM item with a call out as I would normally do in an assembly drawing.

I would be grateful to hear your thoughts on this and know how you deal with this problematic in your workflows.

Robin
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    I read (either on a helpdesk request answer, or on the forums somewhere about one year ago), that it was a placeholder for a future feature that would tie geometry to "Items". I think this also meant it would work for 2D drawing BOM balloons of those "items"

Please put in a helpdesk request to make this functional, especially for the 2D BOM balloons. It doesn't do anything now that I could figure out.
  • Options
    RobinBGRobinBG Member, Developers Posts: 9 PRO
    That feature would be great, thanks !
    When you say to raise a helpdesk ticket, do you mean the Contact support via the help menu in the document @nick_papageorge073 ?
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    RobinBG said:
    That feature would be great, thanks !
    When you say to raise a helpdesk ticket, do you mean the Contact support via the help menu in the document @nick_papageorge073 ?
    Yes. That’s how they get their list of things to work on. Only paid customers have access to that contact support button (except for bug reports) so it gets higher priority than forum posts, from what I understand.