Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Variables - 30+ secs to add/revise

JoshBarnettJoshBarnett Member Posts: 15 PRO
Hi all

OS taking 35 seconds to add/revise a variable in variable studio

Time seeming to increase with more variables in studio?

Approx. 100 variables in variable studio at present

What is going on here? Enterprise plan

Thanks
Machine Designer | AXIS7

Comments

• Options
    Guessing there is a new "micro-version" of the document for every variable change, and that in this case that involves re-building a bunch of assemblies?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Machine Designer | AXIS7
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 670 PRO
    I think the whole document gets regenerated. So if you have 10 big part studios in the same doc as the variable studio, it would take time. 
  • Options
    romeograhamromeograham Member, csevp Posts: 657 PRO
    If the Variable Studio is inserted into every tab (as is the Default when you create a Variable studio) then it does have to rebuild every tab (Studios and Assemblies).

I've found that it's best to deselect the option, and then manually insert Variable Studios only into tabs where you need them. Helps to speed up a lot.

Also - change the variables in the Variable studio itself if possible - at least the table seems to respond more quickly. When you edit a Variable Studio in the Variable flyout in a Part Studio or Assembly tab it seems to be unbearably slow.

• Options
    I tried creating variables in variable studio and was much faster! Still took a while for other doc items to rebuild but made it easier to work with the variables

Thanks!

I have about 50 part studios and 20 assemblies... explains why so slow. Might need to revise my workflow here

Machine Designer | AXIS7
  • Options
    S1monS1mon Member Posts: 2,379 PRO

I have about 50 part studios and 20 assemblies... explains why so slow. Might need to revise my workflow here

I assume you mean all in one document. Keep in mind that unless you carefully switch the instances in the assemblies to be versions, all of those tabs (part studios and assemblies) have to be rebuilt each time you make a variable edit if they are dependent on the variable studio. If you start to separate the part studios and assemblies into separate documents, you will be forced to use versions, and the variable studio itself can be versioned. While it's great to have everything all live and updating magically when you're early in the development process, at some point you'll need to split things up.