Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

How do I update the FeatureScript version of a tab in a document?

ZimCubeZimCube Member Posts: 2
In this document at V2, there are two Part Studio tabs, `Metric Midget Wrench Set` and `Bin Configurator`.  If I hit "Show Code" for them I see the "Bin Configurator" tab is at an older FeatureScript version, 1963 versus 2180.  How can I update that Part Studio to the latest library version?

Comments

• Options
    chadstoltzfuschadstoltzfus Member, Developers, csevp Posts: 133 PRO
    In order to preserve model integrity, Onshape does not update or allow updating of the FeatureScript version of versioned Part Studios. You could imagine that if there was an update that changed behavior and your "immutable" version forced an update you could end up losing a model completely.

Typically, if a Part Studio is behind on the Main, it will be automatically updated. Sometimes, if it is an old document, it will not be updated until the user enters the document, in which case they will be given a prompt asking if they want the document updated at this time. I'm not sure why Bin Configurator is still behind though. Maybe wait until the next release when they will batch update active documents and see if that changes things. 
    Applications Developer at Premier Custom Built
    chadstoltzfus@premiercb.com
  • Options
    kevin_o_toole_1kevin_o_toole_1 Onshape Employees, Developers, HDM Posts: 565
    As Chad says, versions can't be changed. They will be at the old version forever... but that's no problem. Only one major thing is prevented by a version mismatch: directly merging the version into another branch. There is, however, a perfectly good alternate workflow for doing the merge:

First, create a new branch from version V2. At that point you should immediately see a notification with the option to upgrade the FeatureScript in that new branch. After upgrading, you can merge that upgraded branch in instead of directly merging the version.

We prevent merging old versions directly into new branches because it could be a sneaky way of avoiding our typical upgrade process, which we perform on all active workspaces when we release every ~3 weeks. The workflow above of branching and upgrading before you merge ensures any necessary upgrades are not skipped.