Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Seeking a method for precise analysis of components in an assembly

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project where I need to analyze a specific component within an assembly of multiple parts. Specifically, I require the exact angular relationship of this component to the x, y, and z axes.

Is there an app or a specific method that allows for determining the precise positions of the components? My goal is to use this information in the optical tool "ZEMAX" to visualize an accurate ray path.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance or suggestions!

Best regards

Answers

• Options
    MichaelPascoeMichaelPascoe Member Posts: 1,726 PRO
    edited November 2023

There are several different ways to get this info. It will depend on your end needs. You can define the exact placement of things with mate connectors and mates.

Alternatively, if your parts are already in place and you only need the measurements, you can use the measuring tool in the bottom right of the screen. If you are in the part studio, you can use custom features to get even more specific results.

Still there are more ways. If you share an example studio, we will be able to help you better.

Learn more about the Gospel of Christ  ( Here )

CADSharp  -  We make custom features and integrated Onshape apps!   cadsharp.com/featurescripts 💎
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    Not sure what you're after exactly, but it seems like you could try making one or more sketches in context, using intersections with the parts from the assembly, and link the dimensions from the sketch to a variable studio, which you could then export or link to downstream processes.