Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Can't attach dimensions to objects in drawing

philmat15philmat15 OS Professional Posts: 12 PRO
I have created drawing of a part, imported as a .stl file that was generated in Solidworks.  I want to dimension the diameters and the spacing between the centers of several holes but I'm unable to attach the dimension tool to the edges of the holes.  Also, there are some lines in the drawing that I can pull a linear dimension from, but not all of the lines.

Best Answers

• Options
    NeilCookeNeilCooke Moderator, Onshape Employees Posts: 5,412
    Answer ✓
    STL is not a precise format (Why STL from SolidWorks? We can read SLDPRT natively), therefore it is unlikely to play well in Drawings.
    Senior Director, Technical Services, EMEAI
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Neil.  I will have my client send the SLDPRT file.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    If they are reluctant to send the actual part file, ask for a Parasolid file. SW and Onshape both use the Parasolid kernel so no translation occurs and geometry fidelity is 100%

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓
    STL is not a precise format (Why STL from SolidWorks? We can read SLDPRT natively), therefore it is unlikely to play well in Drawings.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    Thanks Neil.  I will have my client send the SLDPRT file.
  • Options
    Answer ✓
    If they are reluctant to send the actual part file, ask for a Parasolid file. SW and Onshape both use the Parasolid kernel so no translation occurs and geometry fidelity is 100%
  • Options
    Thanks Neil.  They did send the SLDPRT file.  I know that Parasolid works because I can import those file types (printed circuit boards) that I export out of Altium Designer.  Thanks again for your help.