Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Linear pattern in one dimension?

I'm trying to create a linear pattern in only one dimension, but when I use the tool the dimension arrows are pre-populated with values "3" for x and "1" for y, and I only want the pattern in the y dimension.  If I try to change the x value to 1, it's not accepted as valid input.
If I change the y dimension to something else and try to change it back to 1, it doesn't accept it as valid input...

What's going wrong here?

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    3dcad3dcad Member, OS Professional, Mentor Posts: 2,470 PRO
    edited December 2015
    Concerning X-value, this is a bug which appeared in last update. It has been reported and will hopefully get quickly fixed and pushed into production asap. 

I was able to reproduce the Y-value bug also. If changed before accepting sketch pattern, also value '1' can be inserted. But if you try to modify after clicking LMB to confirm pattern it does not accept values below 2.

I had also confusion with mouse pointer being big cross (like the one which you use for moving dimension values) instead of the one that tell's to hit LMB to finish. I'm not a big fan of this LMB confirmation at all, I usually need to create patterns twice since the first disappears after I forget to hit LMB after defining count/dimension values.
    I think it should stay in place if another tool is selected and only way to escape 'without save' would be escape button.

Maybe this has something to do with disabling the use of #variable as pattern count since it was buggy in first iteration.

@lougallo @jakeramsley
    //rami
  • Options
    At first I thought that mouse pointer issue was only connection / browser cache, but I found a way to reproduce.
    If mouse pointer is on dimension (hover, icon changes to cross) and you change a value of pattern count and hit enter, icon doesn't change back to the one that has green LMB to remind finishing pattern feature even if you move away from dimension value.

Can't use feedback tool or other standard tools for screenshot since mouse is not visible. I'm on currently on chromebook, can someone else try to reproduce this on another system maybe?

//rami
  • Options
    michael_k_sandersmichael_k_sanders Member Posts: 3
    Changing Y worked after reloading the browser.  Adding a vertical constraint for X will work for now, but please fix the bug.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @lougallo Try to go back to that sketch and then change Y to 1, for me it only works before accepting the pattern.

For me it's essential to be able to add value 1 to either or both directions since this allows wider use in parameter driven designs.

Didn't think of rotating, thanks for the tip!   

ps. Were you able to reproduce mouse icon issue?
    //rami