Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Is there anyway for a person to request membership to an OnShape team?

richard_topolewskirichard_topolewski Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in General
I wanted to invite members of the FIRST FRC robotics community to help develop a standard set of CAD parts commonly used on FRC robots but all the documentation I had said I had to invite them.  There didn't seem to be a way for them to request membership.  Did I miss something?  It seems that if OnShape is targeting to develop communities then there should be a way for people to request to join an onshape team.  Again maybe someone has to just tell me how.

More details can be found here:
http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1501754

Also I see a number of people in onshape from the FRC community, based on FRC being in the title of their documents, but I am not aware of a way to invite them to join an onshape team for those interested in FRC.  The only way I have seen documented requires that I have their email, which I don't have.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    shanshanshanshan Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    I think maybe you need to introduce your project in detail here first, if other users are interested in it , they will tell you their Onshape ID , and you can share your document to them , so they can access this document and work for it ! Forums is a very good place and we should make it more and more useful!
  • Options
    abefeldmanabefeldman Member Posts: 166 ✭✭✭
    @richard_topolewski - currently there isn't a way for another user to see that your team exists and then request access to it, but that's a really interesting idea.  I've added an improvement request for you.
    Abe Feldman
    UX/PD/Community Support
  • Options
    jon_hirschtickjon_hirschtick Onshape Employees Posts: 91
    +1 -- Interesting idea.
  • Options
    mowoodsiiimowoodsiii Member Posts: 3 EDU
    Background: I am responsible for teaching Onshape to engineering students as a "guest lecturer", meaning a professor invites me to take over their class for 2 hours to teach the basics of Onshape as a "workshop". This is usually started by a short period of getting everyone signed up for an Onshape EDU account. 

Problem: Now, especially teaching remotely, monitoring and proctoring my students' progress as we walk through a group CADing activity is a daunting task, but may be easily remedied with the use of Teams (I can pop into each student's Part Studio and see their progress. However, as a guest lecturer with very limited teaching time, I don't have easy access to a list of students' email addresses, so inviting everyone to the team would be a challenge left up to the host instructor before class (not the most reliable or ideal option).

Proposed Solution: Offer a "Join Team By Link" option which allows students to join a team by sending out (or simply displaying via PowerPoint, etc) a link. Or, even easier, something similar to the process used by streaming services nowadays: Generate a 6 character pin that exists for a limited time to have students easily join the team without needing to copy a long URL.

Similar Forum Posts Cited: