Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Tutorial, Step Stool, Step 8, extrude/remove or pocket leaves a thin wall

ali_e280ali_e280 Member Posts: 10
Hi,
I'm trying to complete the the step stool exercise.  The instructions are to create on offset on the face and use extrude/remove to create a 5 mm indent.  When I apply the remove extrude, I get an unexpected thin wall.  This thin wall prevents the shell step following this step.

SKETCH

EXTRUDE OPTIONS

PART WITH THIN WALL

What step am I missing here?

Thanks,
Ali

Best Answer

• _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 366
    Answer ✓
    Because the sides of the part are drafted (at a nonzero angle with respect to the vertical), and you're extruding straight down, you'll get a really thin wall with a triangular cross-section.

Answers

• robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 418 ✭✭✭
    Hello. It looks like you've selected the wrong sketch area for the extrude. I read the intent in the design is to create a depression on the step surface in order to have a corrugated surface for traction. The sketch area you selected is the 5mm perimeter. I believe you need to select the large inside area of that perimeter. - Scotty
  • ali_e280ali_e280 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you.  Looks like you were right about the intent of the exercise, but the question still remains, why is there a thin wall if I remove the 5mm area around the part?
  • _anton_anton Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 366
    Answer ✓
    Because the sides of the part are drafted (at a nonzero angle with respect to the vertical), and you're extruding straight down, you'll get a really thin wall with a triangular cross-section.
  • ali_e280ali_e280 Member Posts: 10
    Thank you.  Looks like you were right about the intent of the exercise, but the question still remains, why is there a thin wall if I remove the 5mm area around the part?
    _anton said:

Thank you for the explanation.