Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Importing 3D models that are not .STEP files results in additional edges.

aiden_zhengaiden_zheng Member Posts: 4
Hello! I was designing a part for a personal project which required electronic components from the web.

For some reason, whenever I imported a 3d file that was not a .STEP file, it resulted in corrupted geometry.

This makes it difficult to create parts of the model which required precision, like screw holes or connectors. The program sometimes allows me to select specific points, but more often forces me to select the entire object. And holes for screws are not recognized as circles as the model has divided them into sections.

Examples:

Comments

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    You imported a mesh model. Those do have all these edges, for they build everything from triangles. Only in the mesh modeling software used to create or view them, they're often suppressed in visualization. You can still use OS to build upon these models, but it is always preferable to get proper models.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 674 PRO
    Don't import anything other than step, xt, or iges (in any mechanical CAD program). stl are a complete waste of everyone's time.