Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

When dimensioning a sketch, can I click on an existing dimension within that sketch to be driven?

In Inventor, while dimensioning a sketch you can drive dimensions with existing dimensions and parameters. Ex. If I draw a square and I want the sketch plane origin to be in the center of the square I would dimension one side of the square normally then dimension one side of the square the the origin then click the previous dimension and add "/2", so the dimension box said d1/2 (dimension 1 divided by 2). I'm not able to do that with onshape. 

Best Answer

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    It is possible in Onshape, though works a bit differently. First, If you want a square on the origin, use the center point rectangle. If you used a corner point rectangle for any reason, just use the symmetry constraint on one of the 3 default planes and two sides of the rectangle. That will constain your rectangle to the center. Last, you can make the square edge length a variable and dimension the center to #variable/2.

Answers

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    It is possible in Onshape, though works a bit differently. First, If you want a square on the origin, use the center point rectangle. If you used a corner point rectangle for any reason, just use the symmetry constraint on one of the 3 default planes and two sides of the rectangle. That will constain your rectangle to the center. Last, you can make the square edge length a variable and dimension the center to #variable/2.

• Options
    timmy_huval626timmy_huval626 Member Posts: 4
    Hey thanks Martin.
  • Options
    robert_scott_jr_robert_scott_jr_ Member Posts: 324 ✭✭✭
    just use the symmetry constraint on one of the 3 default planes and two sides of the rectangle. That will constrain your rectangle to the center

These forums - good place for learning stuff. - Scotty