Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Double Threaded Tube - Hole Feature Failure

Nath_McCNath_McC Member Posts: 114 PRO
edited January 2 in Using Onshape
Hi All,

I have a 100mm long part, which is a bit of a tube (or can be a bar). It has 25mm of right-hand thread on one side and 25mm of left-hand thread on the other.

I currently have an issue using the hole feature. I cannot go through all with the drill and then use the feature again on the other side as the drill hole is already there, and essentially, there is no material to remove. In SolidWorks, I would use the cosmetic thread feature to achieve this.

I would like one call out to be dia 8.5 thru, M10X1.5 RH, depth 25 and the other just to be M10X1.5 LH, depth 25

I have a workaround where I half the drill depth and take 0.1mm off, so 49.9mm in this case, but it leaves a little "V" where the drill tip ends and the callouts look poor. 

Would anybody have any solutions?

https://cad.onshape.com/documents/58785ba5e4466167a3ab62db/w/44240a9e6da406118bea177d/e/71dc0b0660dafde4e57588cd?configuration=List_dFYSwtPDwLAK5f=Default&renderMode=0&rightPanel=configPanel&uiState=6593fb83f362903964d421d1

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    bryan_lagrangebryan_lagrange Member, User Group Leader Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the best I could get with automatic hole call outs and not manually entering the information with annotation. 

Bryan Lagrange
    Twitter: @BryanLAGdesign

• Options
    Thank you, Bryan. I will try that way instead. 

You drilled and tapped to the same depth, then added a thru-hole feature.

Onshape support has logged this as an improvement request as well. 
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    I first thought I'd try to only model one half of the cylinder part, then make the hole and the thread, then either mirror it, or make the other half, boolean unite. In fact this does not work either: The boolean removes the second thread. Strange. Good this is recognized as an enhancement request.
  • Options
    I believe we need a internal cosmetic thread feature without the holes. Similar to how the external threads work.