Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Placing hole in assembly

joseph_newcomerjoseph_newcomer Member Posts: 90 ✭✭✭
I have three files.  One is called "Yellowdaylily.obj" and is

I imported a .obj file which was a drawing of a yellow day lily with six heads.  I deleted stems and leaves, and was left with what you see in the "Yellow Day Lily" part studio.  I wanted just one flower, so I did a copy-and-paste of each of the flowers (the sketch with the numbers was to let me track what I was doing and is not important).

Turns out I couldn't past them into another part studio; they would only paste into an assembly.  Bummer.  These assemblies are Flower 1 through Flower 6

Now I have grouped them together so each is a single entity of six or seven parts.  Consider Flower 1.

First, I would like to fix it in position with some edge point on the axis center point.  I can't figure out how to do this.

Next, two of these, Flower 1 and one not yet decided, are going to go into another assembly.  The flowers will be printed in a translucent color filament.  In each flower, I need to put a lamp base.  The lamp base is
What I want to do is create a solid block down near the bottom of the flower to hold the lamp base.  The lamp base is about 1.5mm smaller at the bottom than at the top, so I want to create a solid block with a tapered hole.  Then somehow extrude it so that there is a solid mass that goes out as far as the petals.  From top to bottom is about 19mm, slightly tapered.  The smaller cylinder at the bottom will project just beyond the bottom of the flower.

To this, I want to add a "mounting bracket" that will connect it to the "stem" of the "plant".  This is a small block that will connect with a thin metal tube which provides strength for the assemblage (3D printed flower stems would be much to fragile).  I have not progressed to exact details, but essentially the petals come out of this block (imagine an elliptical solid, if you will) so that when the lamp base is inserted in the block, its wires come out through the hole in the block and will then go into the brass tube.

The whole assembly of two flowers will then be fitted to a vase.  A partial rendering of the vase (with lots of details, such as the threading of the base not completed yet) can be found in

The problem is the assembly called "Flower Assembly".  I have no idea how to fit the base into the flower.  I need to make a negative of the base shape and install it into the flower. I created a part studio in the assembly, but cannot get a plane at #Lamp_base_height from the sketch I placed in it, and I have no idea how to make a shape that can be extended upwards.  My idea was to create an edge loft, then place it in the flower and extend it until it hit the sides of the petals.  No idea how to do that.

Any suggestions, including tutorials I should watch, would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    GWS50GWS50 Member Posts: 381 PRO
    I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you are trying to achieve.....perhaps a pencil sketch would help......after all a picture says a thousand words