Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

"Boolean operation failed to return a valid part" when extruding a hole through a thickened surface.

Hello,

I try to add some mounting holes to a part I have created with Thicken from a surface.
A remove extrude that goes half way through the part works as expected (Extrude 1).
But when I try to add to the part with extrude add (Extrude 3) or make a hole completely through the part with extrude remove (Extrude 2) the I get the error "Boolean operation failed to return a valid part".
I have already moved and tweaked everything to make sure there are no shared edges that could result in 0 wall thickness, but that did not help.
I did the exact same 3 extrusions on other parts that were themself created by extrude, and never had a problem there.
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/8cae892027cef0bc524a11ff/w/749efe1b829ee4820d73d13a/e/a21abd24113f5f71b78b04e9?renderMode=0&uiState=6595684658b8e714b34d8e33

Regards, Reinhard.

Comments

• Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 281 ✭✭✭
    When I tried, it worked after I deleted the whole upper part of the housing. 
    The way this model has been built, has already lead to some heavily distorted faces, E.G. at the edges. The fact that Fillet1 hasn't been working before should have been a warning sign. It may well be, that the error you get when extruding, is not precisely connected to the extrusion itself, but to the whole solid failing. I'd recommend rebuilding the shell from precise and robust sketches first, not eyeball a thing, use guides and connections for the lofts and then thicken again.
  • Options
    reinhard_ostermeierreinhard_ostermeier Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for looking over it. I noticed that it's a bit wonky. It's my first surface model I try to build. I guess i finish the trainings first (which I have actuially started already) and then try to get it more solid.
  • Options
    reinhard_ostermeierreinhard_ostermeier Member Posts: 5
    I have added some additional guides and now it's working. Thank you again @martin_kopplow