Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Really confused with one chamfer that should be exactly the same as the opposite chamfer but doesnt

steve_gladdingsteve_gladding Member Posts: 7
Anyone tell me what I've done wrong with this, please?
It works one side and that side seems to be exactly the same as the side that doesn't work.
The drawing is https://cad.onshape.com/documents/c4850c65a704823f825d54c8/w/5b0776dd82c68eb2df03c95d/e/8acb3624f2967138cb251cc6?renderMode=0&uiState=659cb06bd76b9f489969f261
If anyone would like to take a look I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    I'm not a fan of using Camfer in this case, so I removed them, and added an Extrude en remove extrude.
    And another tip, since your design is symetric, make only 1 half and when your finished, mirror add.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/45cfd502e8032355f11e0371/w/91a2b5aebd3a6880505f7c79/e/343f00603124bdf5f3e45f68

• Options
    steve_gladdingsteve_gladding Member Posts: 7
    Ah, brilliant thanks. Not sure how you did what you did but it looks good so I'll carry on :smiley:

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Copy my file and use the roll-back bar and you can see what I have done
  • Options
    martin_kopplowmartin_kopplow Member Posts: 286 PRO
    edited January 9
    It works one side and that side seems to be exactly the same as the side that doesn't work.
    This, in most CAD systems, happens a lot with "Chamfer: Two Distances": The tool does not know which is distance one and which is distance two, so it estimates. First time it is either okay, or you'll switch direction in the dialog. No big deal. Now the tool still does not know about possible symmetries and such, so for the second edge, especially when it does not share topology with the first one, it estimates once again, based on what it can find locally or from the view direction, moon phase, or whatever. Chances it misses are simply 50%, and according to Murphy's Law, much worse if you are not expecting. Not your fault. ;)
  • Options
    eric_pestyeric_pesty Member Posts: 1,549 PRO
    This, in most CAD systems, happens a lot with "Chamfer: Two Distances": The tool does not know which is distance one and which is distance two, so it estimates. First time it is either okay, or you'll switch direction in the dialog. No big deal. Now the tool still does not know about possible symmetries and such, so for the second edge, especially when it does not share topology with the first one, it estimates once again, based on what it can find locally or from the view direction, moon phase, or whatever. Chances it misses are simply 50%, and according to Murphy's Law, much worse if you are not expecting. Not your fault. ;)
    Note that Onshape recently added the option to "flip" the direction of individual edges in the chamfer feature.
  • Options
    nick_papageorge073nick_papageorge073 Member, csevp Posts: 680 PRO
    Chamfer is really the wrong tool to use for what you are after. The way Dirk did it is much better. Or the draft tool.