Welcome to the Onshape forum! Ask questions and join in the discussions about everything Onshape.

First time visiting? Here are some places to start:
  1. Looking for a certain topic? Check out the categories filter or use Search (upper right).
  2. Need support? Ask a question to our Community Support category.
  3. Please submit support tickets for bugs but you can request improvements in the Product Feedback category.
  4. Be respectful, on topic and if you see a problem, Flag it.

If you would like to contact our Community Manager personally, feel free to send a private message or an email.

Options

Smooth Fade

maximilian_küstermaximilian_küster Member Posts: 12
Hi Guys, 
i created this riffled surface structure (grey) and want it to smoothly fade out into the blue solid part. 
I really want a smooth connection between these to parts and was trying to achieve it with the loft feature, but that didnt work out. 

any ideas? 

Thanks in advance 
Max

Comments

• Options
    dirk_van_der_vaartdirk_van_der_vaart Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Your welcome, copy the file and use the rollback bar to see what I have done.
    https://cad.onshape.com/documents/365f10c6655e06ac24b0bbd8/w/cf7946f69507111805dfb234/e/0190eb6f756cce4640c73649

• Options
    GregBrownGregBrown Member, Onshape Employees Posts: 106
    edited January 10
    You definitely can do this with a loft feature - try selecting a vertex the second profile of the loft (the first being the arc from the scallop). Set the "End conditions" of the start profile (the arc) to be normal to profile in order to get a smooth transition.

One thing is you'll want the vertex to NOT be exactly on the cylindrical (blue) surface otherwise Onshape will complain you are creating non-manifold geometry. 

Create one cutout then pattern to finish it up.

Using a sweep with a path that takes the section up and away from the blue body is another way, instead of using loft. Again make sure the path you create has a tangent connection to the starting arc.

e.g. 
  • Options
    John_P_DesiletsJohn_P_Desilets Onshape Employees, csevp Posts: 237
    @maximilian_küster  Here is another approach. 

Document